X crashes with SSID Broadcast turned off

edwardp-jjFNsPSvq+iXDw4h08c5KA at public.gmane.org wrote:
> With the SSID Broadcast turned off...(X?) crashes
> and returns to the login screen.

Have you checked all the relevant logs to see if anything interesting
interesting was reported?

I'd recommend filing a bug with Ubuntu if you can dig up some more details.

> Once SSID is turned back on and logged in, everything is fine.

You might be able to work around the problem by using iwconfig to
manually set the SSID. The commend for this was discussed on the list
here a few weeks ago:

iwconfig wlan0 essid $SSID

Adjust wlan0 to match your wireless interface and replace (or set) $SSID
with your hidden SSID.

> it would seem that in order to prevent such a crash, Ubuntu and its
> variants would require SSID be turned on.

I can't speak for 10.10, but 9.10 and older versions have never crashed
on me due to a hidden SSID.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro