list netiquette

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 10:00:42AM -0500, Richard Pieri wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2011, at 9:41 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> >
> > Actually, Thunderbird 2.x had a plugin for this. One of the biggest
> > complaints of early 3.x prereleases was that this feature was not
> > present and the plugin was incompatible.
>
> As a point of fact, very, very few MUAs fully distinguish between
> reply to originator, reply to list (recipient) and reply to all.

All of the following are mail clients I can think of off the top of my
head which support this:

 - Mutt
 - Claws
 - Balsa
 - Evolution
 - Kmail
 - Gnus
 - Thunderbird
 - Alpine

Actually that's every mailer I can think of that runs on Linux, except
SUP, which may have it, I haven't tried it... there may be others as
well.  The original pine might not have it, but I don't know anyone
who still runs it.  Oh, and mailx, but no sane human runs mailx as
their every day mailer.  Most of those (at least can be made to) run
on other platforms, also...

The only sticking point may be your "fully" qualifier... I have no
idea what you mean by that.  They all support replying to mailing
lists distinctly from sender and all.  Some require appropriate list
headers be set (which mailman sets), and others have additional means
to identify mailing lists.

I haven't read mail on Windows for over a decade, so I can't comment
about that.  I'm sure there must be additional options besides the
ones above.  I don't think Outlook has it but Outlook is garbage,  so
no surprise there.

-=-=-=-=-