Help Desk Software

On 2/25/2011 9:15 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 07:52:39PM -0500, Richard Pieri wrote:
>> On Feb 25, 2011, at 7:14 PM, Chris O'Connell wrote:
>>> Can anyone recommend some open source help desk software?
>> All ticketing software sucks.  RT sucks less.
> This, with the major caution: the success of help desk software
> depends on people actually using it. Motivation is key.

The success of help-desk software depends on making people /want/ to use
it! I've seen multiple companies buy expensive "does everything"
packages, and then they all wind up wondering why all their customer
service problems weren't solved as soon as they wrote the check.

Too often, customer support software is crippled by fuzzy thought and
lazy managers who won't go to the effort - or spend the political
capital - needed to get their front-line support people a well-defined
/and enforceable /escalation chain, with access to needed expertise,
ability to require help from "that's so yesterday" coders (who are
always out of time), and with authority to ignore "it's not a bug, it's
a feature" salesdroids who want to have all tickets closed before their
next visit to a customer.

If a support manager /starts/ with a certain software package, he loses:
at that moment, he is committing himself and his staff to fitting the
corporation to the software, instead of choosing the software which best
fits the corporation.

FWIW. YMMV.

Bill

--

"I've been up and down this highway, far as my eye can see:
  No matter how fast I run, I can never seem to get away from me."