30% Apple

On 02/22/2011 09:17 PM, David Kramer wrote:
> Since that was both shocking and a big problem for me, I did do a lot o=
> fact checking when I made the initial decision two years ago, including=

> berating several AT&T salesdroids. I verified it was still the case
> before replacing my non-waterproof iPhone 3GS, and that's still the cas=
> with their later Android offerings.
>
> As far as exploring the software options for the Android, they make it
> pretty hard unless you already have the phone. Now there's enough
> around you could probably just Google, but not so much two years ago.

Basically, the software options for the Android last year when I bought
mine and now are pretty broad. I think when I bought my Backflip there
were about 5000 apps in the Marketplace with more being added on a daily
basis. I was initially told by a sales droid that there would be a "cold
day in Hell" before AT&T would sell and Android. Most of the employees
in the cell phone stores really do not know the phones very well unless
they actually owned one.

I had a Blackberry that was off contract. There were a couple of things
that were very important to me:
1. I had nearly 400 notes (formerly Palm Memos). I could not access
these notes on Linux when I had the Blackberry.
2. Calendar - I used Pimlico Software's DateBk5, for my calendar on
Blackberry and they did not have an Android App at the time. While I was
a contractor I used the calendar to record my hours. I currently use the
Google Calendar app along with a Calendar Widget. I'm considering buying
Pimcal. One of the things I likes about DateBk was the ability to
search. Note that Pimcal does not need to be connected to Google.
3. Contacts - I want to have my contacts available on my SmartPhone,
Windows at work and Linux (as well as the Color Nook)

Basically, the Backflip is certainly underpowered when compared to some
of the more recent phones, such as the Samsung Galaxy S series or the
HTC Aria. (on AT&T), but I get a good 3G connection and relatively fast
downloads. The only complaints I have with the Backflip is that
sometimes while in phone mode the screen blanks intermittently, I can't
read it in strong sunlight (most phones). Compared to my Blackberry it
is much much better, but I will probably get something like the Galaxy
in a few months when they are available with 4G/LTE. The Galaxy line is
interesting because it has an anti-glare screen.

I also considered the iPhone because at the time it was certainly a
better product, but I wanted my notes, Calendar, and Contacts available
on my home Linux system. The iPhone was also considerably more
expensive. The Backflip cost me $50 + 2 year contract (there was a $50
instant rebate and a $100 mail in rebate). AT&T sent me a rebate card,
and I think I left 1 or 2 cents on it.

Question for David: "non-waterproof iPhone 3GS" did you ruin your iPhone?=

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846