30% Apple

Ethan Schwartz wrote:
> Are there other situations where you pay full price for a phone, but still
> are required to use it with a certain carrier?  Maybe the "Google Phone"
> with T-Mobile?

I have a Nexus One that I bought from Google. I walked into a T-Mobile
store in Harvard Square, did bureaucracy, and now I have a SIM that
makes my phone work on T-Mobile (on my ported number that started with
Sprint).

I have never tested it, but I understand that I could put in an AT&T SIM
and it would work, too--but for the fact that the 3G frequencies are
different so I would only get 2G data speeds.

Note: Just because my phone is willing to use any SIM doesn't mean any
SIM is willing to work in my phone. When I first put the T-Mobile SIM in
the data didn't work because the account wasn't configured correctly for
a phone like mine. I had to go back to the store and get them to tweak
some account settings.

I have heard that T-Mobile is good about unlocking phones they sell.
Once someone has been a customer for awhile and they think you aren't
going to walk and refuse to honor the contract, if you go in and say
"I'll be traveling to Europe and want to use a foreign SIM..." they will
unlock it. I have not verified this myself, but I have read such things...

-kb, the Kent who has been pleased with T-Mobile, even if voice calls in
his kitchen in Somerville are iffy.