30% Apple

On 02/18/2011 11:41 PM, David Kramer wrote:

>>> Explain that?
>>>
>>> I am an android user, and I have no experience that I can relate to y=
our
>>> comment above.
>> Things like gmail, google calendar, address book are in the Google
>> cloud. You don't have to use the cloud-based stuff,=20
> If the calendar/address/etc apps only sync with Google, how do you use
> those apps without using Google?  Type in all your information in on th=
> phone and never back it up?  Just use it as a dumb phone?
>
> Are there other Android calendar/address/etc apps that sync with some
> desktop app(s), and are available on Android Market (since AT&T modifie=
> their Android phones so you can't install software from anywhere else)?=

>> but one really nice
>> advantage is you don't have to sync your data by physically plugging i=
>> the Smartphone.
> Yes, I realize I look at this different from most people.  It continues=

> to amaze me that people who spend a lot of time hardening their Linux
> boxes and use PGP keys on their email simply hand all their sensitive
> information willingly to commercial third parties, but I realize that i=
> is so.  I would rather have to plug a cable into my phone to back it up=

> to my computer than have bikini-clad vixens lovingly convey it to
> somebody else's.  But I don't always have to.  Many of the apps I use
> can wirelessly sync or transfer files.
Basically, the old way to sync your smartphone with a physical PC has
its benefits and drawbacks. I also use Evernote. One of the main reasons
I switched to Evernote was that I could easily migrate the 400 notes I
had that I originally used on the Palm, then Blackberry. This syncs with
Evernote. But, as I mentioned there are a number of Android apps that
store data locally on the micosd, and you can easily get at those. With
the plethora of apps for the Android, I know there are different email
clients as well as addressbooks. Fliq Calendar syncs with Outlook. So,
if you really don't want to use the Google cloud, you don't have to, you
just need to look around for the apps that meet your needs. When you
were looking for a Smartphone, one of the other requirements was
keyboard size, and many of the Androids are as large as the iPhone. In
my case, I wanted a Smartphone where I could access all my data
exclusively from Linux, and the Android meets my needs, but the data is
replicated on the various clouds.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846