New Router Suggestions

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 1:26 PM, Ted Roche <tedroche-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Palit, Nilanjan
> <nilanjan.palit-ral2JQCrhuEAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Speaking of which, today's NewEgg daily special flyer is featuring the
>>> "BUFFALO WZR-HP-G300NH 802.11b/g/n Nfiniti Wireless High Power Gigabit
>>> Router" on special for $80, less a penny. Looks like a pretty good
>>> deal, with all the right acronyms in the specs.
>>
>> Except, it seems like it's a single-band router. If you have mixed g & n on your network then it will default to g for all devices. I'd recommend a dual band router for anyone buying a new N router.
>>

> Ack! Good catch! I'd been looking at all the Buffalo models since this
> discussion broken out, and was confusing the G300NH with the G300H.

It seems like ALL the cheap 802.11N routers are single band.  Even
some of the dual band ones can only do one at a time.   A quick way to
tell if it is single band is if
it says 802.11 b/g/n or 802.11 a/b/g/n.   The single band ones do not
have 802.11a since it is always at 5Ghz.  Another thing to consider is
whether or not they have 100Mbit or 1Gbit wired ports.  802.11n can
supposedly reach speeds of 300Mbit a second (ha!).  Still your shiny
new 802.11n gear might be limited by only having 100Mbit wired ports.

Bill Bogstad