Sandboxing & System 76 Laptops

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Chris O'Connell <omegahalo-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> Matt, I like that suggestion!  I don't think my supervisor would think
> that's an adequate solution and he does use one web based application at
> least ;-)
>

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Matt Shields <matt-urrlRJtNKRMsHrnhXWJB8w at public.gmane.org>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 9:11 AM, Chris O'Connell <omegahalo-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> My question is sort of cross platform.
>>>
>>> I have an 86 year old user here at my work.  He's very bright, but no
>>> matter
>>> how many times I tell him not to click weird email links or strange
>>> websites
>>> he does.  The result is a weekly visit into his office to run a 45 minute
>>> sweep for spyware, viruses and malware.
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good sandboxing program that may
>>> help eliminate this problem given I can never get this guy to practice
>>> safe
>>> computing.
>>>
>>> He runs windows so a Windows sandboxing utility suggestion would be
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> I'm contemplating a new laptop that would run Linux, preferably a System
>>> 76
>>> laptop.  Any thoughts on System 76?  Any good Linux sandboxing programs
>>> out
>>> there?
>>>
>>> Sorry, I know this email has a lot of questions that don't directly
>>> relate
>>> to one another.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> Chris!
>>>

>> Assign him a static IP address, either manually or via DHCP, then block
>> that IP from accessing the internet :)
>>
>> -matt

I've used this in the past, of course I've also talked with their manager
before doing this.  It's like dealing with children, if you continue to let
them do whatever the bad behavior is, then they won't stop.  If the employee
can't be trusted to have internet access, then it will be taken away.  Most
companies have policies that outline internet and computer usage and usually
have some terms about dealing with "abuse".  They are costing the company
time and money.  One of these times if you leave them to continue like this,
they'll end up downloading something that causes more damage.

-matt