Political views on the Discuss List

On 02/16/2011 11:50 AM, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 11:28:40AM -0500, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>> This list is for discussions regarding Linux, Unix and related
>> topics including things like IPV6, Net Neutrality. There is really
>> no room on this list for political or religious slurs. We have
>> Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, and even a few anarchists as
>> well as Christians, Jews, Muslims, and atheists. It is certainly NOT
>> appropriate to defame Hillary Clinton, George W. Bush, Barack Obama,
>> or Mitch McConnell. While we may disagree and comment on a policy,
>> please keep the political slurs out of the conversation.
> By all means, yes!  But let's also not forget that free software is by
> its very nature a political beast, and so not attempt to stamp out
> discussions of a political nature entirely, so long as they are
> relevant.

True, but lets keep the discussions on the issues. Calling names or
defaming our political leaders is not really appropriate, and detracts
from the overall discussion. We can agree or disagree with our
politicians or with an issue, but the defaming simply is inappropriate.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846