kernel panic

Tom Metro wrote:
> If this is a practical option, I'll dig deeper and see if I can turn up
> a guide for using it with an Ubuntu kernel.

Installing kexec-tools did generate this warning:

update-rc.d: warning: kdump start runlevel arguments (2) do not match
LSB Default-Start values (0 1 2 3 4 5)
update-rc.d: warning: kdump stop runlevel arguments (none) do not match
LSB Default-Stop values (6)

(Which I think this bug report addresses:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kexec-tools/+bug/569980 )

and a kdump placeholder man page, so that's a good indication it is a
patched kexec-tools.

I then ran across:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/CrashdumpRecipe

which says to install the linux-crashdump package, then after a reboot,
kernel panics should automatically be logged.

I also ran across a bunch of forum postings from people saying how
linux-crashdump didn't work for them. We'll see...

>> ...which collects an entire vmcore...that can be analyzed.
>
> How does it record that?

Apparently it saves the dump to RAM, boots a special kernel that then
provides access to that RAM and writes the drop to a safe area on disk.

I'm curious to see if it can be configured to use a Flash drive. The
turn-key Ubuntu process makes no mention of that.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA