Linux for non-CMOV processors

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talk:Features/F12X86Support

Apparently, a decision was made to drop support for non-CMOV processors
in Fedora, Ubuntu as well as Mandriva.

Looking at the limited info on the link above, there seemed to be some
resistance to making that change, just for the sake of a /minimal/
increase in performance.

Was there any particular reason why this was done?  Even though my K6-2
box still runs, I have been unsuccessful locating a new Linux distro
version that will now boot on this, because the K6-2 doesn't have CMOV.

I'm not sure it was a wise decision either to drop non-CMOV processor
support...