ubutn 9.10 audio and video

Hi all,

I'm trying to do 2 things

1) get my ati video driver to work
2) get my mobo onboard intel audio driver to work

for 1) I'm just using a generic driver with the failsafe configuration
for X, and whenever I install the ati video driver using the hardware
manager and restart X craps out and I no longer can start X

for 2) when I do aplay -l in the command line (before X) I get two
cars shown, one that is the mobo onboard intel audio card driver, and
the other is some ATI sound card driver

but when I try playing some wav file using aplay I get nothing

then when I enter X and do aplay-l it says I have no sound card driver
installed.

I've been scrounging the net following various directions to no
avail.... I followed through the ubuntu sound trouble shooting faq (
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting ) and nothing.

I tried following through this (
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10964/how-to-fix-sound-issues-in-ubuntu-9.10/
) , but I can't get the default sound driver GUI to show up.

Is there something else I could try?

thanks

much appreciated!

slim