Looking for possible options to NetApp storage

Check out "open filer" for basic needs.

Yes, the WAN component is huge.   Do you want to pay
for storage features, or WAN capacity?

I believe the two most compelling companies "pay up" for
netapp are:

1) SnapMirror.  Highly optimized WAN traffic feature.
2) "Nobody ever got fired for buying -fill in the blank-!"

Companies often want to pay a bit more for a company that
they know will be in business for a long, long time.

EMC made tons of money because of it (with, IMHO, crappy and
expensive gear).

Thanks,
Jim Gasek