10 gigabit ethernet

Daniel Feenberg wrote:
> We would like to speed up NFS traffic between a file server...
>
> We understand that "ganging" several 1 gig ethernet ports won't speed up a
> single connection, only allow multiple 1 gig connections. That won't help
> us, since we typically would only have one (large) file open on the
> server.

It seems like this should be addressable in the NFS client (or perhaps
even the next layer up). For example, a hypothetical NFS driver that
implements a read-ahead cache, resulting in separate, parallel requests
for chunks of the file.

Given the big price difference between 10G and 1G Ethernet, there's
motivation for a software solution, so I wouldn't be surprised if
someone has created an NFS driver or set of kernel parameters tuned for
these circumstances.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro