VirtualBox: No USB?

David Kramer wrote:
> Backstory: I have an ancient Thinkpad T42 running Windows XP.  I have
> only two uses for Window; backing up/sycning my iPhone, and VPNing into
> work.  The Thinkpad's Windows install is broken, and it BSOD's seconds
> after booting.  I may or may not reinstall Windows on it.
>
> I found an XP image I made in VirtualBox a while ago on an external USB
> hard drive.  I installed VirtualBox on my main laptop (Dell D830
> Centrino dual core duo).  I tried it for VPNing into work, and that
> worked pretty well.  However, I can't find any way of seeing USB devices
> (like my iPhone) in the VM.
>
> I see all sorts of tutorials online that refer to there being a
> button/icon that lists USB devices that I can choose to take control of,
> but I don't see one.
>
> This is what I have installed:
> $ dpkg-query -l '*virtualbox*' | grep ii
> ii  virtualbox-guest-additions
>    3.2.8-1~lucid1
>    guest additions iso image for VirtualBox
> ii  virtualbox-ose
>    3.2.8-dfsg-2ubuntu1~lucid1
>    x86 virtualization solution - base binaries
> ii  virtualbox-ose-dkms
>    3.2.8-dfsg-2ubuntu1~lucid1 x86
>    virtualization solution - kernel module
> ii  virtualbox-ose-qt
>    3.2.8-dfsg-2ubuntu1~lucid1
>    x86 virtualization solution - Qt based user
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux lexa 2.6.32-27-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Wed Dec 1 23:52:12 UTC 2010
> i686 GNU/Linux
>
> $ cat /etc/issue
> Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS
>

> PS I'm willing to go with a different VM solution.  I just chose
> VirtualBox because I already had a VirtualBox VM image and most of the
> articles I found on using a Windows VM to talk to an iPhone used VirtualBox.

Try this:

1) /etc/groups create a vboxusers group and make sure you are in it
vboxusers:x:501:your_user

2) add this to /etc/fstab
one /proc/bus/usb usbfs        devgid=501,devmode=664 0 0

3) use the vbox tool to add "device filters" for your devices for the
machine under settings, usb, add+ should show a list of devices connected

Good luck.