VirtualBox: No USB?

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 1:09 AM, Bill Bogstad <bogstad-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> You have the fully open source version installed (OSE).   The USB
> functionality is not included in that version.  This web page gives
> info on the different editions:
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Editions
>
> The OSE version are fully GPL'ed and included in the standard Ubuntu
> repositories.  The PUEL version are not and have to be obtained
> directly from virtualbox.org.

After you get the right version of VirtualBox, make sure you install Guest
Additions on the VM. Also, if your plan is to use iTunes, you will probably
need to enable VT-x/AMD-V acceleration for the VM by going to Settings ->
System -> Acceleration. Otherwise, iTunes may crash at startup. I ran into
that problem myself, although I can no longer find the link that talks about
it. Once I got past that, iTunes via VirtualBox worked like a charm.