keyboard trends

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Tom Metro <tmetro-blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Do you use your number pad?

Yes, but I get along with out it... so on a laptop I may appreciate "full
size" keys more than narrower keys + number pad.  I also prefer the keyboard
be centered with the screen, which usually isn't the case when a number pad
is present.

> Newer HP laptops reverse the logic of the Fn modifier key, such
> that you have to press the modifier to get the traditional F1-F12
> function.

Those same HP's also have an option in their BIOS that lets you decide
whether to the Fn modifier default to on or off, so it's user customizable
if you know where to look

> I tried making use of the Insert key on several
> demo laptops (of course running Windows) as part of the Shift-Insert
> shortcut for paste, but couldn't get it to work with or without the Fn
> modifier. (Have they removed that shortcut from Windows?)

I use CTRL-V for paste... But it's not a short-cut that is removed from
Windows as far as I know, it still work for me with Win7.

Half height up/down keys.

It's a pain in the butt... I don't like the smaller arrow keys

> By far the most visible trend in keyboards right now is "chiclet" keys
> or more formally island-style keyboard.

I work with proto-type HPs ... when these first started appearing in their
new designs about 4 years ago I was in agreement with my counterpart at HP
that these things stunk vs. the keyboard used on the previous generation of
HP laptops (I'm talking commercial machines, no consumer)...

As bad as their notebook keyboard is, their netbook one seems worse as there
is even less space between the keys.  My fingers tend to catch on the 90*
edge of the keys as I type.  Quite a few times now I've been typing quickly
and actually torn a key off the keyboard by catching it... glad I don't own
these machines :)

On these same machines they introduced the "trap door" mouse buttons which
hinge at the top... they feel very awkward and cheap when pressed vs. the
previous generation in my opinion.