Suggestion for KVM over IP

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011, Rich Braun wrote:

> All the above problems were solved at a very similar per-port price point
> ($300 give or take) using Dell DRAC or HP ILO cards.  Someone already pointed
> out the negative of that solution:  you have to build out a separate physical
> LAN, at a cost of about $20-50 per port for cables and switches plus labor.

Why do you have to have a separate physical LAN? We have some HP and SUN
ILO devices (on the motherboards) and connect them to LAN ports on the
same switches as the main OS uses and in the same VLAN. The ILO software
does not appear to be particularly insecure, logins and passwords - indeed
whole sessions are encrypted.