Firefox IE mode on Linux?

On 01/15/2011 08:51 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>> From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On Behalf
>> Of j.natowitz-KealBaEQdz4 at public.gmane.org
>>
>> Now I know I can use Wine to run IE, but I'd rather not.  Anyone have any
>> suggestions?  My CPU doesn't support virtualization.
> Opera has an IE emulation mode.  Of course nothing in the world is perfect,
> so occasionally something works on IE but not Opera, but ... What's the
> difference between using IE emulation in opera, versus emulating windows to
> support IE in wine, versus emulating a pc so you can run windows so you can
> run IE in a virtual machine?

"IE emulation" in most browsers means changing request headers to
identify itself as IE, and /might/ mean (although I doubt it) changing
some browser behaviors to be more IE-like. On the other hand, an IE
plugin on Windows actually runs IE inside an ActiveX window - a very
Windows-specific solution.

Wine is an emulation environment - sort of a runtime shim - that runs
Windows executables in a Unix/Linux environment by implementing the
Windows system calls required by the Windows executables. As far as I
know, it's been years since it was possible to install and use a modern
MSIE under Wine. I think IE5 might have worked under Wine.

While Wine emulates a Windows runtime environment under Linux, a virtual
machine is a very different ball of wax: it emulates computer hardware.
You have to install Windows, just like you do on a PC, boot it up, shut
it down... the whole nine yards. It's a computer running within a computer.

That's the five-cent explanation - there's plenty of good reading
material out there if you want to learn about Wine or about virtual
machines like VMWare and VirtualBox.

Nathan