So little actual software development in software engineering roles

I have been looking around for positions having had my last project
canceled. I'm so tired, it seems like "software development" is more
"software integration" these days. Maybe I'm old and washed up. I don't
know, but jeez, I LOVE writing software. I mean, I love it. Problems
wake me up in the middle of the night with rapturous solutions. I mean,
seriously, I don't care what kind of software I'm writing, just be
something that does something.

In the past few years, I've kept in touch with various high profile
colleagues, hoping against hope that something interesting would show
up. Sadly, no.

Venture Capitalists should no longer have the initials VC, it should be
more like "vC." I know times are tough, but the whole VC deal is
supposed to help you develop a product. The new deal is that you more or
less have to have it developed. Worse than that, it needs to be fully
buzzword compliant. While this is not an entirely new thing, it has
become much worse.

Then, don't get me started on cloud computing. I mean, really, "cloud"
computing. Talk about a buzzword. OMG then there's SaaS! None of these
things are rocket science, and in many ways, they offer really powerful
solutions to previously difficult or expensive problems, but not
everything NEEDS to be cloud based. SaaS is a billing model, not an
architecture, just ask skype.

Lastly, for various reasons, I'm a generalist. That means I have a
pretty wide exposure with some really deep experience in a few areas
like low level C/C++ and OS stuff (Windows, Linux, BSD). I could write a
book on the various programming issues: threads, processes,
synchronization, memory management, I/O, DMA, compilers, algorithms,
pseudo-AI expert systems, databases, SQL variations, optimizations, and
on and on.

What's the point?