Gmail no longer loads on Firefox

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 11:52 PM, Edward Ned Harvey <blu-Z8efaSeK1ezqlBn2x/YWAg at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> > From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On Behalf
> > Of Jerry Feldman
>
> I've certainly seen this type of behavior before.  I assume you've tried
> the
> usual, close & reopen firefox, flush cache, reboot.
>
> The problem is google.  They're simply unreliable.  Go try it from a
> different computer and it will be fine, but not because you're on a
> different computer.  Try a different browse and you're fine, but not
> because
> of the browser.  Try using your own computer, using the same browser, to
> login to somebody else's account, and it will work fine too...  Which is
> evidence that the fault is not your computer, not your browser, and not
> your
> account.  It's because just by chance, you were redirected to a different
> server in google's backend.
>
> If you just wait a while and try again, it will probably clear itself up.
> (In fact, is it cleared up again already?)  If not...  You can fiddle with
> random things, like clearing your DNS cache, clearing all your session and
> cookie information from the browser etc, just to try and get randomly
> directed to yet another random server in google's backend.

Over the past year I've noticed that any Gmail account in Firefox has had
worse and worse performance.  I have a suspicion it's because of the size of
my Gmail box and the way that Gmail uses Javascript to render pages.  I also
have a suspicion that the Gmail and javascript cache a lot of my mailbox
which might be some of the performance issues.  So I have recently switched
only my Gmail to use Chromium browser, everything else stays in Firefox.
 Now I don't seem to have any issues with either Firefox or my Gmail.

-matt