Cloning FS

I've been given a thinkpad x40 laptop with the original OS
and HD intact. I am in the process of converting it to a CF
card drive and would like to clone the installed xp OS and
the Fedora 14 OS I have also installed after shrinking and
rearranging partitions. Everything is working fine at the
moment given the slow 1.8 form factor drive.

So my question has to do with the cloned partition size
verses the target partition size. If the original partition
is 13 GB including free space does the target also need to
be 13GB or larger or can I install to a smaller target that
is still 20% larger than the actual data/OS?

Are the issues different for Fedora/linux in regards to size
of target?

I have finished running a test clone of the XP partition
using the latest clonezilla live utility to an external USB
drive. It created a series of image data files that total
just under 7 GB.

Jim K-R