Number of kernels in /boot Fedora vs. Ubuntu

On 01/01/2011 07:58 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On 12/31/2010 02:36 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
>> Dan Ritter wrote:
>>> Assuming you're using grub, look at /etc/grub.conf:
>>>
>>> ## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst
>>> ## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the
>>> ## alternative kernel options
>>> ## e.g. howmany=3Dall
>>> ##      howmany=3D7
>> But that just controls how many show up in the menu, right?
>>
>> I think Jerry was asking more about how you manage the quantity of
>> kernel packages that remain installed. My recollection is that there i=
>> no automation for that on Debian/Ubuntu.
>>
>>  -Tom
>>
> Yes. The issue is a package manager issue. Derek pointed out th
> Parameter for Red Hat-based systems that use yum. Since Ubuntu uses
> apt/dpkg, there should be a parameter like that. The issue tents to be
> more of a clutter issue.

After googling for some time, I've found that Ubuntu does not have an
option to retain a limited number of kernels. I've looks in
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d as well as /etc/dpkg/dpkg.conf. The closest I could
come is in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove:
 NeverAutoRemove
  {
        "^firmware-linux.*";
        "^linux-firmware$";
        "^linux-image.*";

Also, the answers to others who complained was to simply manually remove
old kernel packages.
It really seems odd to me that in a distro that purports to be very user
friendly that it does not have an automatic mechanism to limit the
number of kernels. Most users don't notice this because of short timeouts=
=2E

In any case, this is one of the things that has bothered me about Ubuntu
for a while. I think I might have posted this a few years ago.

In any case I did find my answer, at least for Fedora and Ubuntu.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846