Color Nook

On 12/25/2010 02:24 PM, Kent Borg wrote:
> Jerry Feldman wrote:
>> The only negative I have seen on the Color Nook is the battery life
>> in terms of 8
>> hours vs. days for the Kindle and B&W Nook.
>>  =20
>
> Battery life, yes, but also with the e-paper Kindle you can "take it
> to the beach": thin, light, great in bright sunlight.  And unlike the
> original Nook, almost reasonable page-turn times.  (I haven't seen the
> recent Kindle improvements in person.  The needed improvements need to
> be logarithmic, whereas I suspect they are only linear.)
>
> I don't have a Kindle and I am badly annoyed by the "rental" aspect of
> DRMed books which is why I don't have one now (still--they do do open
> content), but the current Kindle is getting pretty affordable, and as
> with paper books, who's to say I can't have more than one e-reader?  I
> can easily imagine using more than one at a time.
>
> On my Nexus One I have (1) the Kindle app, (2) the Google Book app,
> and (3) Aldiko (the only one for which I have paid content--a couple
> non-DRM O'Reilly titles, I should make a habit of buying more from
> them as a political statement).  At some point I look forward to
> getting a big screen Android, I am guessing there will be a "Nexus"
> product that will convince me, but once I do, the chance that I decide
> I also need a traditional Kindle* seems likely.  Possibly sooner if I
> need to make an emergency purchase on word that e-paper products are
> being discontinued.  B&W LCDs were pretty nice but they got crushed
I've got the Kindle reader and Aldiko on my phone. The page turning
algorithm has been significantly improved on the Nook. I plan to go to
the B&N in Chestnut Hill next week to take a look at it. On my cruise
several people including my daughter had a Kindle. My mother's Kindle is
the new version with WiFI+3G (she does not own a computer and does not
have WiFI). I'm well aware of the bright sunlight glare with cameras and
my phone, and the anti-glare properties of the Nook need to be checked
out as well as the page turning. With the Nook supporting the Kindle app
when Froyo is publicly available is a big plus. I am not much of a beach
person, but I do take a cruise every so often.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846