Red Hat's response to my system-config-samba rhel6 issue

On 12/19/2010 02:01 AM, David Kramer wrote:
>  Some services
> start up with the init.d scripts.  Some start up with the "service"
> command (and bitch at you if you try to run them directly).  Some start=

> up with the "start" command.  So do I try them in random order til I
> find out which one is required to run the service I want to start?
In my experience all services are started by scripts in /etc/init.d in
general through symlinks in the directories corresponding to run levels.
The /sbin/service command itself is nothing more than a script that sets
up an environment, but is not much more than a wrapper. I've never seen
a service that required the 'service' command. The standard for init
scripts is to have an argument that is one of 'start', 'stop', 'status',
'restart', 'reload'. Not all services support all the commands. The
original 'init ' process did not use runlevels, and was controlled
throgh a file called /etc/ttys. There were 2 modes, single user mode
(run level 1 today), and multi-user mode. System V, or was it system 3,
introduced run levels through /etc/inittab. This was a big improvement
to /etc/ttys. At Raytheon Data Systems I actually rewrote init to use a
similar type of file because of our intelligent terminals. Today there
are a number of different requirements. First, in the old days, all the
systems had dumb terminals connected through serial ports. Today, very
few systems even have a serial port, but those that do, might set up a
console for debugging. While I have not really studied upstart, the old
way of setting up services is running out of gas. Services are started
alphabetically using the prefix Snn. (S for start, and K for kill). This
limits the system to 99 slots to start up a daemon process or service.
This is generally ok, but you have to make sure that things are set up
in the correct order. Additionally, when transitioning from one run
level to another the script needs to make sure that it does not stop a
service that is common to both run levels.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846