sudo preserving X

Currently, if I want to change my user id and run a X application,
things don't work with sudo.
Ex:
X connection to localhost:14.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).=

The way we work is that users use putty from Windows to log into the
Linux servers. Unfortunately, we have a common user name that they all
can use (against my better judgement). I would prefer them to log in
under their own user names. Additionally, they can set their umask to
022 so that everyone in the group can work with those files. This is
more the way things should be done in Linux.

But, a lot of files are currently owned by this common user, and as a
first step I wanted to disallow logins on this and use sudo -u.

It appears that sux would work, but I would prefer to keep the current
sudoers.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846