backups

Crashplan.com has free software I use.

I backup windows desktops, laptops, and linux desktops and laptops to local
directories, and to a 'centeral server' (one of my desktops with a TB drive
attached.

Crashplan wants to sell you a 'cloud service' but it is not required.  They
also have a 'pro' client for $$, but the free one is pretty cool and enough
for me.  A free mac, windows, linux, and other OSes clients are available.

I have found almost anything works, but it must be automated, with little to
no intervention, and to report to me of issues automatically.  Crashplan
does this.

Others are great too.  I like dirvish and backuppc, but crashplan is my
current favorite.

I hope this helps.