NetworkManager and upstart.

I dislike complexity.   Would like to see much more
documentation too (maybe my fault).   We don't even
like the gui.  Although, more and more, we are forced
to use it.

I understand the goals of NetworkManager (ease of use
for laptops, non-technical users, and compatability
for "home" user's taste- wireless, dhcp, plug and
play with devices being added/removed...), but, with
these features comes complexity.   Servers generally
don't need it.

And, I don't like that RHEL6 install script forces me to
use it by default.

After it runs, I have a hard time "undoing" it.

/etc/init.d/network script in Fedora 11/12 (?) was still
overwriting resolv.conf after:

# chkconfig --level 2345 NetworkManager off

RHEL6 seems to as well, in some cases.

Perhaps I just need coaching on how to completely
de-install it all.

I also understand the goals of "upstart": More powerful
features; boolean/non-sequential branching (as opposed to
simple/sequential).

But, I don't need these features.   At least not yet!
Simple, sequential startup works fine for our current
environment.

I like to ask my system "what runlevel?", and get an
honest answer.  Or, if "runlevel" going out the window, a
new mechanism/paradigm which is understandable, usable,
friendly, and configurable from a command line and gui.

My gut tells me "upstart" (much like in Solaris 10) is such
a huge change that it will be problematic unless improved
and simplified for future RHEL releases.

Thanks,
Jim Gasek