Red Hat's response to my system-config-samba rhel6 issue

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 11:42:15AM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> "Jim Gasek" <jim-ESJ+pY3k0/ZeoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > Related to the two big trends?:
> > - upstart (changing of the start/stop paradigm)
> > - NetworkManager (phasing out of traditional networking).
> >
> > I dislike both trends.
>
> Okay, I'll bite..  What do you dislike about NetworkManager?  Except for
> the fact that one first-run you need to configure it via the UI, once
> it's configured you can set it up to auto-connect at boot time.  You can
> still set up a static network config the way you did before, and indeed
> you can specify that NM not control an interface.

NetworkManager is fine on a laptop. On a desktop or a server, in most
environments, I don't want the IP, DNS, and so forth to change or not
start until a user logs in: I want networking to start when the machine
comes up and stay put.

Simple human-readable, human-writable config files: they work well.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.