rhel 6 fustrations...

On Dec 3, 2010, at 2:16 PM, Jim Gasek wrote:

> Fedora v. RHEL:
>
> One thing I've noticed, Fedora leaves out much "enterprise"
> type stuff (the conspiracy theorist in me thinks this is
> so Fedora doesn't easily "Steal" too many seats from RHEL).
>
> Autofs, for example, it missing.  Fedora isn't meant to be
> "used as a server"?   I suppose I buy that logic.  Less
> tried and true.

How do you figure its missing?

On my Fedora laptop:

$ yum search autofs
autofs.x86_64 : A tool for automatically mounting and unmounting filesystems

$ yum info autofs
<copious details about the package>

$ yum list autofs
<available packages and the repos they come from>

> Upstart:
>
> I'm really interested in the changeover from "traditional"
> init, to "upstart" init.   Have not stumbled upon too many
> good/practical pieces that explain how the migration is
> being implemented in different *nix distros.

Fedora probably isn't the best place to try to learn upstart,
since its still running in sysvinit mode in current Fedora, and
its slated to be replaced entirely by systemd in Fedora 15. :)

> Static Linking:
>
> Also the "Static linking" package is noticeably missing in
> RHEL6.   The doco says that they're trying to extinguish
> bad programming practices.   I'm always curious when
> functionality is removed.  The doco says that they're trying
> to extinguish bad programming practices.

Sounds about right. That's inherited from Fedora.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingGuidelines#Staticly_Linking_Executables

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org