NAS Server

After some research and some online discussions, including here, we
bought a Netgear ReadyNAS 3100 with 4TB XRaid (4 2TB SATA drives). XRaid
is Netgear's proprietary RAID, but you can configure standard RAID
configurations. I also bound the 2 NICs. I found that the performance of
the NAS device to be much better than the Linux server with SCSI drives
that we had been using. Additionally I found it much easier to set up
CIFS shares through SAMBA with authentication. While this device does
support AD authentication, I decided not to use AD mainly because I
needed to set up the NFS shares with the proper permissions. Virtually
every issue I had with the ReadyNAS both before we acquired it and
afterwards were answered promptly by the ReadyNAS community
(http://www.readynas.com). Another system we looked at was SnapServer.
We have some SnapServers elsewhere in the company, but the NY office had
a problem with running both CIFS and NFS, however, my communication with
the SnapServer people was this was no problem.

While I have not used Buffalo products for many years, I would go online
and check for some reviews.

On 12/02/2010 10:33 PM, Chris O'Connell wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm looking to replace my four stand alone USB 1TB hard disks with a si=
ngle,
> semi-redundant, networkable storage solution.  The buffalo gets bad rev=
iews,
> and I'm never crazy about the Iomega products.
>
> What do you guys suggest?  Should I build my own?  Get a server?  What =
do
> you think?

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix