Online LUG?

b p wrote:
> ...does anyone know of an online LUG?

Yes, like Greg said, BerkeleyTIP used to be advertised regularly on this
list, though I haven't seen it mentioned since last July.

They appear to still be in operation.

Ryan Pugatch wrote:
> I generally think the purpose of a LUG is for you to connect with
> people locally who use Linux.  If you remove the 'local' part of the
> equation...well, then you have basically all of the Linux forums /
> IRC etc which you could consider a 'LUG'.

True, though sometimes splitting up a community, even if on arbitrary
lines, can be beneficial to improving signal-to-noise ratio.

Take the MythTV user's list. Unless you're real skilled at thread
pattern recognition[1], it has too much volume to make following it on
an ongoing basis practical. That's a case where splitting the community
into regional sublists would be beneficial, and given the way many TV
issues are regional, it would be logical, too.

1. http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/thread_patterns/

A LUG is also about the quality of the community. I'm sure many BLU
subscribers already treat BLU as a virtual LUG and rarely, if ever,
attend meetings, yet they get value from being on the mailing list.

Eric Chadbourne wrote:
> Maybe we could investigate (again) the possibility of having BLU
> meetings on-line for those who are unable to travel.

I think this is less about the issue of technology and more about
getting a commitment from a volunteer. You need someone who is going to
attend most of the meetings to take ownership of this.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA