Seeking mainboard recommendations (RE: Only half of RAM ...)

"Edward Ned Harvey" <blu-Z8efaSeK1ezqlBn2x/YWAg at public.gmane.org> suggested:
> * Double check the manual for compatible memory types.

The first batch of RAM was OCZ brand, the second was Corsair.  They're both
labeled DDR3 1333 but the OCZ reports 666 MHz and the other reports 533 MHz as
seen in the BIOS screens.  (BIOS recognizes all 16 gigabytes of RAM, no
problem, it's just not getting conveyed to the Linux kernel at boot time.)  As
for double-checking the manual, which refers to
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=testreport, that's a blind alley: there are
simply too many RAM vendors and too many different modules on the market to
come up with a comprehensive list (*both* of my specific modules are not in
the list, though other products from these vendors are there).  Likelihood of
a RAM incompatibility is pretty remote, and in any case both of the vendors'
components produce the same symptom.

> * Look in bios for memory redundancy.

BIOS checks out OK.

> * Buy a different brand memory (many standard parts still suffer
> incompatibility issues)  I've seen things like that a lot with custom build
> "standard" machine.

Already did, two different brands.

> * Get a later kernel...  The latest kernel ... Or a completely different
> non-linux OS, and see if problem persists.

Kernel is 2.6.34.7, current as of 13-Sep-10 according to www.kernel.org.
(There is a 2.6.36 out as of 20-Oct but I don't think the kernel is the
problem).  I also tried a 2.6.32.  I suspect that if I bring up Windows I'd
see the same thing though I haven't tried that.  Might be worth a try but I
think I'd wind up with the same conclusion no matter whether Windows display
16GB or not:  start over with a new motherboard.

This is not something I've ever run into before but there are hundreds of
reports of this happening with the P55-GD65 mainboard (which happens to be one
of the more-compelling deals available at Microcenter, at least if it could be
made to work...;-)

So sometime in the next few days I'm going to buy a new motherboard.  I think
I want one with 6 DIMM slots anyway.  What model should I buy?

-rich