uggg... postfix rhel6

On Nov 15, 2010, at 10:31 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Jarod Wilson <jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> On Nov 14, 2010, at 2:49 PM, Stephen Adler wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Blu,
>>>
>>> I've just upgraded one of my basement servers to rhel6 from rhel5. All
>>> went well expect for sendmail or the lack of. It looks like postfix has
>>> replaced sendmail.
>>
>> Only as the default mta. *LOTS* of people have been clamoring for
>> that change for years. In other words, uggg... sendmail. ;)
>
> Personally I find configuring sendmail much easier than configuring
> postfix for certain simple configurations.  I'm sure more complicated
> configurations are easier in postfix.  I'm currently running both at
> home.

Hm. I find postfix easier to configure for both simple and complicated
configurations. But then, I spent a year plus at a job where at least
75% of what I did every day was work on postfix...

>>> All I want to do is setup a sendmail "smarthost"
>>> equivalent so that the mail gets routed through a different server I
>>> have. Is there a short howto out there on this?
>>
>> Off the top of my head:
>>
>> yum install sendmail
>> alternatives --config mta
>> yum remove postfix
>
> Can't you just: yum install sendmail; yum remove postfix?  Or is the
> intermediate "alternatives" step absolutely necessary?

I'd originally typed in the instructions w/o the alternatives step,
and I do believe that works, but I wasn't 100% sure, so I threw it
in there for completeness.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org