Hobbit's netcat

On Nov 11, 2010, at 7:05 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 10:46:28PM -0500, Anthony Gabrielson wrote:
>> Hello,
>>    Does anyone have any advice on getting Hobbit's netcat to build (and run properly) on Ubuntu 10.10?  Anyway, it compiles but when I run with backpipes It sefaults.
>>
>> Here is the build output:
>> agabriel at ubuntu:~/netcat/netcat110$ make linux
>
> Is there a reason that Ubuntu's version won't do for you?
> They're on 1.10-38, and have been for four releases.
>
> Failing that, did you do an apt-get build-dep against the
> package, and an apt-get source, so you have all their
> dependencies and patches available?
>
> -dsr-

The Ubuntu version of netcat (OpenBSD) isn't nearly as powerful as Hobbit's.  Hobbit has the -e option, while admittedly a security hole is a lot of fun and the OpenBSD version doesn't have anything that matches that option.  Also the options for backpipe seem alot less complicated.

So your second question is apart of the reason why I'm posting.  The only Ubuntu references to this version of netcat ends in the version 7.xx tree.  So, I may have missed something - in fact I'm hoping I did.  Do you know which package is in the repo is Hobbit's netcat?

Anthony