AOL blocking DynDNS Mailhop-Outbound

Tom wrote:
> Maybe the absence of SPF records for most domains relayed through
> DynDNS's Mailhop makes their relay appear like an open relay from AOL's
> perspective?

AOL /could/ behave that way but I'd hope DynDNS has a sufficiently good
technical relationship with them to prevent such blockage.  Like most similar
providers, their Mailhop service is limited to a certain number of messages
sent per 24-hour period (a really low number, by AOL standards or even by the
standards of the website I most recently managed--that one was 800,000 per
day).  So even if something truly went haywire at a DynDNS customer site, they
are protected against open-relay status.

DynDNS does provide templates for SPF records and I assume that if you buy DNS
through them (I don't), they are applied automatically.  Their setup FAQ
includes the info so years ago I set up my own thus:

   pioneer.ci.net  text = "v=spf1 mx a:outbound.mailhop.org ip4:76.24.16.5
ip4:76.24.16.109 ip4:204.13.248.71/28 include:outbound.mailhop.org
include:comcast.net ~all"

Sometimes I wonder if it matters that I use a tilde instead of a dash in
mine...maybe some remote mailers care.

-rich