NoMachine and Neatx

On Nov 8, 2010, at 1:25 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:

> And while I'm on the subject, I suggest that you take a look at NoMachine.  It's a virtual frame buffer X server that uses some VNC-inspired techniques.  It is extremely fast even over slow networks.

Breaking this off into a separate thread since it's off the Ubuntu track....

One of the really, really useful features of NX is that it can do either an entire desktop or just individual X-based applications.  With the desktop you get a very VNC-like remote frame buffer with all sorts of caching to eliminate the X primitive round-trips.  With individual clients you get just the client but with the same cache so it's very fast.  Just client does not have the backing virtual frame buffer so you can't disconnect and resume the session later.  Both are automatically wrapped up in SSH tunnels.

http://www.nomachine.com/

See also Google's from-scratch server implementation Neatx:

http://code.google.com/p/neatx/

--Rich P.