Discuss Digest, Vol 37, Issue 7

On 11/07/2010 12:00 PM, discuss-request-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org wrote:
> Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 10:53:54 -0500
> From: Richard Pieri<richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
> Subject: Re: Ubuntu moving away from X
> To: L-blu List<discuss-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org>
>
> On Nov 7, 2010, at 7:53 AM, Mark Woodward wrote:
>

>> >  "X Applications are terrible?" Really? OpenOffice, Firefox, Gimp, Thunderbird, etc. are terrible applications? I have to disagree.
>>
> None of these are X11 applications.  They are GTK applications.  Port GTK to Wayland and you would see no differences modulo how the GTK port was handled.

Exactly my point. Once these applications are "ported" or recompiled to
the non-X system, they lose an amazing key operational advantage.

I have used gimp, openoffice, firefox, and thunderbird, amongst many
others "remotely" over X.

>> >  An X compatibility layer doesn't work. It seems to work well enough for local applications, but Mac's X compatibility stinks for remote apps. A feature that I use all the time.
>>
> The term "compatibility layer" is a misnomer.  OS X does not have an X compatibility layer.  It has the genuine X.Org X server, the same X server that runs the Red Hat and Ubuntu desktops right now.  Thus, your comments are confusing to me.  How can X.Org running on Linux or FreeBSD be "good" while the exact same X server running on OS X "stinks" when it is the same thing?

Can you show the GUI of iTunes or Safari remotely on another Mac?
(without the whole desktop?) I can show Firefox and "Rhythmbox" on
remotely. Its one of the reasons I find Mac unusable.

> I have a slew of X11 applications, native applications, that I use every day with the XQuartz, some locally, some remotely.  They look and act exactly the same on my Mac desktop as they do on my Red Hat desktop.  I run a bunch of Windows apps (games, really) using WINE and XQuartz and they run the same as they do on RHEL and Ubuntu.  What, then, "stinks" about Mac's X server?  Because I don't see it.

Like I said, how about the native Mac applications? Once there is a
"compatibility layer" there is a two tier system of haves and have nots.
Some applications will work remotely and some will not. Who to say which
ones will or won't? It fractures the compatibility in Linux.