Ubuntu moving away from X

On Nov 5, 2010, at 1:02 PM, markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org wrote:

> In the end, the user suffers. Have you used "X" programs on macintosh? Its
> terrible. That's what Shuttleworth is going to bring to ubuntu.

This is not because XQuartz is terrible.  This is because the X applications are terrible.  I say that as a daily user of exactly this combination.  It's how I get my Xterms and my occasional Guild Wars fix, among many other things including remote X clients.

> X works. X can do everything that Shuttleworth wants to do. X has features
> that Mac and Windows can't even touch.

I call FUD.  X cannot do everything that Shuttleworth wants to do.  Ever try to install X11 on a bleeding-edge video card?  Pain. In. The. Ass.  Going straight to the standard OpenGL APIs for the display is a huge, huge win.

XQuartz can do everything that X.Org on Linux can do -- or more accurately everything that X.Org on FreeBSD can do.  With XQuartz you get everything that X11 offers *and* everything that Mac offers.  I see X11 on Wayland as a huge win for everyone.

--Rich P.