Comcast, VZ-DSL, Galaxy; and service differences/problems

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Jim Gasek <jim-ESJ+pY3k0/ZeoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I switched recently from Comcast (resold Galaxy)
> Data only, and voice, to VZ (Galaxy resold) data
> and voice.

This week's Comcast VOIP failure shows you just how much Comcast cares about
their voice and internet customers.  I was a customer of theirs for years,
and the voice/internet always felt like an "afterthought" that they added on
to grab some extra customers...

The trouble is that Comcast is your only choice for cable in so many areas.
And for me the sticking point when comparing DSL and Cable has always been
DSL's limited speed.

Comcast's low end business service is 12Mb/2Mb for $55/mo w/ dynamic IP
Verzion's low end business DSL is 1Mb/384Kb for $25/mo w/ dynamic IP

Yes, DSL is less than half the price per month, but unless you have very low
bandwidth requirements you're going to be feeling pretty constrained--even
my cell phone is able to sustain higher then 1Mb/s connections.

You mentioned you VZ/Galaxy bill being $25/30, but you didn't mention the
Comcast/Galaxy price or speed tier--was the gap any smaller then for
business services?

BTW, to get a static IP w/ their business service Comcast charges a $15/mo
premium for 1 IP ($20 for 5 IPs).  Verizon DSL requires you to move to their
$85/mo 10-15Mb/1Mb DSL tier to be able to get a static IP, and then they
charge a simply outrageous *$70* premium for it, a total of $155/mo... and
from my experience many people end up too far out to actually see anywhere
even close to those download speeds on DSL.