ISPs allowing desktop Linux client to surf the web?

On Sunday, October 31, 2010, David Kramer <david-8uUts6sDVDvs2Lz0fTdYFQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Many SpeakEasy CSRs speak Linux. ?In fact, my account name was
> dj_segfault, and several of the CSRs snickered because they knew what a
> segfault was. ?They were familiar with Linux commands, or at least knew
> what I was talking about when I would rattle off output of commands to
> solve problems. ?And they let you run any servers you want without
> filtering any ports. ?Ferreal.
>
> I have heard that they've gone downhill in the support department since
> I used them, but I don't know that for sure. ?I only left them because
> Verizon was incapablee/unwilling to properly maintain my copper phone
> line, something a slightly above avarage marmoset could do.

They have laid off a lot of their more knowledgeable tech staff.  They
work from cookbooks and it became frustrating.  I left because they
couldn't keep my voice service up reliably.  Data wasn't far behind.
For what I was paying, no way was it worth it for the speed you get.
Who cares if you can run servers if they are inaccessible?

I would create a ticket, they would typically take 8 hours to do any
thing.  It would take days to resolve, then the same problem would
recur a few weeks later.  It gets old pretty quick.  They didn't seem
to care when I told them I was going to leave if they couldn't resolve
the problems permanently.  So I went back to comcast. Hosting can be
paid-for with the difference in monthly charges.

MEG