ISPs allowing desktop Linux client to surf the web?

david_a_reed-fZsAqLoOLWc at public.gmane.org wrote:
> Although I've used desktop Linux (SuSe, Knoppix, Ubuntu) for various accounting functions for ten years and have been running Apache web servers on RHEL for nearly as long, my personal web surfing has always been via Windows.  Now I would like to surf the web from a Linux client (Ubuntu or Puppy), I'm wondering if there are any Linux-friendly ISPs servicing the Boston-to-Cape Cod area.
>
> When I Google "Linux-friendly ISP" the only one I come up with is Eskimo.com in the state of Washington.  As far as I can tell, Comcast and Verizon require Windows or Mac on the client machine.  Is that on account of the hardware that they provide?
>
> Also, am I correct in assuming that a Linux client with a dial-up 56K modem should be able to use any service provider?
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I have been using Linux since 2003 (Thanks, Jerry!) with my Comcast
service, no problems at all using it.  Although when installing the
Comcast phone service, that will require Internet Explorer for the
technician to use when activating and configuring the new cable modem.
Using Linux should be OK though, it is not an operating system that
Comcast officially supports, but they do have an "Alternative Operating
Systems" online forum.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 101027-1, 10/27/2010
Tested on: 10/27/2010 3:09:50 PM