ddr3 memory configuration....

yeah the motherboard manual should give you the proper order to fill
slots, and also tell you how many slots there are per channel (or
something like that).  Though im most cases your best performance will be
filling all slots, with identical memory.  However this may not be the
case for ever mother board, or they may have different memory requirements
depend on the slots that are filled (ecc type stuff).

But the manual should have all the details for your specific board.

Jason