More Oracle Open Source Fallout

  On 10/17/2010 11:50 AM, Matt Shields wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, I understand that companies need to make money.  But
> look at RedHat as an example.  They both have commercial products, but at
> the same time let people take the source and offer free products based on
> their (CentOS, WhiteBox Linux, Scientific Linux, Fermi).

I disagree: Red Hat did not "let" people do anything. They were required
to release the source because of the license they abused when they tried
(and, thank Ghod, failed) to repackage Linux as a proprietary operating
system.

Red Hat is, IMNSHO, a discredit to the open-source movement, to the
community of users (I was one) they conned into promoting their brand
name, and to the once-innocent cadre of coders who have seen their work
repackaged and hyped for commercial profit.

If I had my way, I'd change Red Hat's street address to "Manor Farm Road".

Bill

--
E. William Horne
781-784-7287