vps suggestions

On Oct 9, 2010, at 12:15 PM, Tom Metro wrote:

> In the scenario I was thinking of you'd be running Eucalyptus on your
> in-house server, and the setup you'd be porting would already be a Xen
> VM instance. So it should be just a matter of copying and making a few
> tweaks. No OS or VM architecture porting.

This does not necessarily follow.  Eucalyptus supports Linux KVM as well as Xen.  As I'm learning the hard way by diving in head first, migrating between the two is not easy -- certainly not as simple as "copying and making a few tweaks".  Last I knew, Amazon does not support Linux KVM in EC2.  And then there are all the fiddly bits.  LVM images vs. file images comes immediately to mind, especially in mixed domains.

But the biggest problem I can foresee is the kernel.  Xen requires the domU's kernel and initrd reside on the dom0's file system.  Depending on customers to provide working kernels and initrds is begging for failure.  The potential is epic.

So, I'm not convinced.  It can be done; I'm just saying that when there's a problem -- and there would be many of them -- it will take more than "a few tweaks" to resolve them.

That and five bucks will get you a small coffee at Starbucks.

--Rich P.