weird suspend/resume shutdown problem with Ubuntu 10.04/Dell D530 laptop

On Oct 6, 2010, at 12:58 PM, Bill Bogstad wrote:

> Any ideas?

Power management on x86 and AMD64 is dodgy.  Some implementations are less dodgy than others but they are all dodgy.  Dell is very inconsistent because of the massive variety of models each with it's own subtle differences from the rest.

You may have better luck if you disable the BIOS sleep mechanism and rely on the OS and swap for hibernation.  No guarantees, though.  The only way that I've ever had reliable power management on Intel laptops -- regardless of manufacture or OS -- is by turning it off completely.

--Rich P.