some ruminations on saving money, power, etc.

On 9/29/2010 3:24 PM, Doug wrote:
> Shouldn't the Mythbox sleep from say 1AM to 7AM, when there is nothing
> to watch or record?  Anyone running a system that shuts on/off
> collections of their machines?  That sounds like the kind of job for
> one of those plug-in-to-the-wall computers.

It's not true that there is nothing to record in the middle of the
night. I know that our two local PBS stations often have programs worth
catching (usually reruns of things they have broadcast before but maybe
you missed them the first time around), as do cable channels. I'll grant
that the major network stations in Boston don't show much at those hours
that one would care to record.

The other complication would be finding a reliable way to have a
computer wake up when you want it to. I've never tried to do that, so I
have no idea where to start; I know about Wake-On-LAN, but wake-on-schedule?