SGE now called OGE, no longer free

> From: John Abreau [mailto:abreauj-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org]
>
> I'm not familiar with gridengine. What's the nature of its license? Is
> it forkable?

Doesn't really matter.  Even if you can fork it, you'll have a separate line
of development from the "main line" official product development tree.  And
you won't be able to use the copyrighted product name.  Your free product is
doomed to obscurity and obsolescence...

The obvious main contributors moving forward are going to be Oracle.  Unless
IBM or somebody wants to strike out on their own and fork and develop the
product for free...  I'm not holding my breath.

The more natural question would be "How much does it cost," and "What are
the alternatives," and "What are the new features that require payment?"

The main competitor is LSF, a commercial product, which is a few hundred
dollars per core you run it on.

I think a lot of people, like myself, will simply download 6.2u5 and keep
every binary and source we can get our hands on, archived for the future.
Most likely won't deviate from 6.2u5.