Alternatives for outbound email service

> From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On
> Behalf Of Rich Braun
>
> I still want to run my own Postfix or exim server but I think I need to
> redesign this so I better control over the reputation of my outbound
> service.
>
> Are any of y'all still running your own mail server?  Is there any
> inexpensive
> way to accomplish this, as an alternative to the now-failing DynDNS
> MailHop
> Outbound?  Or do I throw in the towel and set up a Gmail account?

I'm running my own outbound smtp server.  It was inexpensive for me because
it's a VM inside of a host machine that was going to exist for other
reasons, with a network connection that was going to exist anyway.  The only
thing I had to pay for was an extra IP address.

If you go for a gmail account, there is something you should be aware of.
You can only send mail "From" an address that you register and verify (ok,
good...) but no matter what you do, your "used for authentication" gmail
address will always appear inside your sent messages.  Some mailing lists
have a problem with that.  I can't name one specifically because I don't
have that problem ... (host my own mail) ... but my brother struggles with
it all the time.  Try to join a mailing list, and it rejects you because
you're sending from the wrong address, or something.  You can only be sure
to avoid problems if you don't use aliases.

Or don't use gmail.

FWIW, I also use sherweb.  Exchange hosting, $9/mo.  Here you are able to
send mail through their servers using any alias you want, and it works fine.