CUPS debug?

On 09/16/2010 12:23 PM, R. Luoma wrote:
> I am trying to bring up a Debian 5.0
> and, while most things seem to work,
> I cannot get the Debian system
> to send prints to network printers.
>
> Furthermore, I am having difficulty finding
> documentation on how to debug my problem;
> I must confess that I have gotten lazy
> because other distros general just worked.
>
> Given the constraint of using a Debian system,
> how do I go about fixing my network printer problem?
>
>  =20
First, have you successfully logged into CUPS as a superuser. You can't
simply use your root login.

I have not configured a printer through CUPS in a long time. I do know
that HP printers use the JetDirect protocol on port 9100. Device in CUPS
is AppSocket/JetDirect. Device URI is something like:socket://<ip
address>:9100, then point it at the proper PPD file by selecting the
mfgr, and printer model. If you don't find the right model listed, don't
guess, find the proper PPD. Not all models in the same family can use a
common PPD. For instance, just because you might find an OfficeJet that
has a close model number to yours does not mean it will work.

You can also look at the generated printcap file.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846